Saturday 23 July 2011

RIP Amy Winehouse


The BBC Website News is reporting the death of Amy Winehouse. What a tragedy, dead at 27. According to her husband she's been on a 3-day drug binge and died in his arms after a series of fits and losing consciousness.

A rare talent, lost; broken on the wheel of self-indulgence; beaten by habits and addictions too strong for her to control?

Who knows the true Amy. What lay behind this, seeming, appointment with self-destruction. Whatever we think, she has gone. She is gone, but not forgotten, as her music will live after her.

Looking back, how prophetic 'Rehab' was. Janis Joplin springs to mind here. Janis, like Amy, died young, 27 too, and drugs were involved. In 'Turtle Blues' Janis sings these lines:

"Whoa, call me mean or call me evil 
I've been called much of some things, all things around, 
Yeah, but I'm gonna take good care of Janis, yeah,
Honey, ain't no one gonna dog me down.
Alright, yeah."

Janis couldn't take care of herself; and, Amy should have given rehab a chance.

As I sit here listening to Amy's 'Back to Black', I realise my tears still taste salty.

RIP Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags