Monday 21 February 2011

Shooting the Messenger Before the Message is Announced

Impatience, the bane of my life; a particular trait that’s invariably made me look petulant and sometimes plain selfish – incidentally, I was planning to post this on the DPAC site; however, it’s not allowing me to register!

Anyway, over the past few days I’ve been following the progress of the TUC’s March on 26th March on different sites; and, while agreeing with DPAC’s, I’m a member myself, concerns about access for disabled people on the demo there is an element of impatience on our part. For instance, a letter, ‘Rights not Charity: Letter to Brendan Barber, TUC General Secretary’ was written on 19th February, and today at the bottom of the letter, reproduced on the site, is, in bold: We are still waiting for a response!

The 19th was on Saturday, today’s Monday 21st February. Is it a reasonable expectation for someone to respond to a letter in such a short space of time? Doesn’t the TUC site, which is updating all the time, now give quite a comprehensive list of access details for the day of the demo. They’re also naming contacts and encouraging people to contact them with specific needs.

Of course we should be critical when our needs are ignored and unreasonably refused; but, don’t shoot the messenger before s/he’s had a chance to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags